Monday, July 6, 2009
Here is an accounting of all of the out-of-doors motors encountered in the neighborhood in the last couple of days:
1. Lawn craft: riding mower, push mower, weed whacker, edger
2. Sea craft: lobster boats close in, ferry in the distance, yacht and sailboat (using motor, not sail to get somewhere) in the Gut
3. Wood craft: wood chipper, log splitter
4. Un-identified something down the shore, droning for an hour during deck time
5. Road craft: pick-up, SUV, sedan, motorcycle, Fedex truck
6. Dirt craft: back hoe, front loader
7. Air craft: biplane, prop plane, and my personal favorite, screaming in at 5:30 this morning, Gulfstream jet
Did I mention that the last couple of days have been sunny and gorgeous? Makes you long for the quiet, undisturbed peace of last week's six-day fog.
Not really. Blessed quiet reigns between outbursts, blue trumps gray, warm beats cool, and besides, the crows that gather for a confab several times a day are louder than everything save the jet.