About Me

My photo
Retired publishing executive ecstatic with the idea of spending most of his time on the coast of Maine

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Osprey

Last evening I had the great pleasure of a lengthy visit from an osprey, who sat in a tree on the shore for some 15 minutes, quite still except for head and neck. I watched through binoculars until my arms were tired. In its usual position high offshore, one can't see the power of its hooked beak, strong wings, broad chest. It didn't even leave when the @#$%^ lawn mower started up close by.

In 20 years I have never seen an osprey perch in one of our trees. Perhaps its dinner was schooling close to shore and it was waiting to be served. More likely, it knew that I had just come back from a canoe trip on the Allagash Wilderness Waterway (report coming over the next few days) and wanted to let me know that this place is pretty special too.

No comments: