About Me

My photo
Retired publishing executive ecstatic with the idea of spending most of his time on the coast of Maine

Thursday, September 24, 2009

MA vs ME


Some friends are using the house for a week. They are very good friends, so when I think of them enjoying the weather and views and the lack of crowds in Camden, I can't really admit to envy and jealousy, which are usually reserved for competitors and enemies. On the other hand, why not? Our friends won't mind the ghost sitting in the Adirondack chair.

I know their state of mind right now - that wonderful late afternoon bliss when the sun lights up the islands and the sea calms. My state of mind is less peaceful, a little too much envy that they've got what I want, if only temporarily. Easiest just to lay aside the psychology and chalk it up to the peculiar feeling of being happy in one place, yet wanting to be in another.

No comments: