- cell phone service. Not even my AT&T "World" Phone worked. The implications are clear.
- fast food, although Machias apparently has a McDonald's we didn't see.
- too much choice. For restaurants, we could choose from among (Princeton) one, (Lubec) two, and (Prospect Harbor) three, one of which was a bar.
- huge supermarkets. Most towns had only a small market, usually IGA.
- traffic. I can hardly remember any stop lights, let alone delays. On the Stud Mill Road, we passed a few pick-ups and a half-dozen logging trucks, in 50 miles.
- shoppes, olde or otherwise.
And what Down East has?