About Me

My photo
Retired publishing executive ecstatic with the idea of spending most of his time on the coast of Maine

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Apostrophe


I don't know if it's laziness or cussedness, but the world seems to vacillate between Owls and Owl's, sometimes in the same document, when talking about this town. Of course, if you don't use the apostrophe, there's little sense in it (a head with multiple owls?), which is why I don't. It's good to be nonsensical. Besides, no one can even say how the town got its name in the first place. From the way the promontory hosting the lighthouse looks? From a transliterated Indian name? You have to be cross-eyed in the first case, and starry-eyed in the second. Or just be ornery. (I wonder if town meeting has debated this?)

I'm for accepting both little mysteries. Grammar and sense should fail every once in a while. Don't try to explain sun and fog.

No comments: