It's not the wash cycle, which is boring in the extreme. It's the drying, ie, the obscure satisfaction gained from hanging clothes outside. Obscure because I haven't figured it out yet. Here are the elements:
- Planning all week for a sunny day, or morning, or afternoon, or please just an hour.
- Taunting the electric dryer.
- Taunting the power company.
- Taunting George Bush?
- Watching the sky for rain showers.
- Taking down the sheets and wrapping your head in them to experience the smell of sunshine.
- Getting into a bed with clean, air-dried sheets, drying yourself with a clean, air-dried towel, putting on clean, air-dried tighty whities, etc. etc.
- Making your grandmother proud.
Is that enough for pleasure, or epiphany? You'd think so, although there is the unmanly embarassment, and twenty years of comments, which will take a while to undo. At least I resolve not necessarily to tease when my helpmeet starts the laundry before breakfast.